Charles Anderson studied Drawing & Painting at Glasgow School of Art, graduating with Diploma in 1959. The following year he entered The Royal Scottish Academy painting competition for Post Graduate students and won the Chalmers Bursary. Joan Eardley - one of the adjudicators- took a keen interest in his work and encouraged him to exhibit at the RSA the same year.
Following a period of 5 years teaching art, he worked as a professional mural painter and sculptor for the next 30 years, on major art and design projects throughout the United Kingdom, carrying out commissions for a wide variety of clients including local authorities, property developers, banks and major insurance companies.
Since early 1997, he has returned to the painting of easel pictures and contributed to the annual exhibitions of The Royal Glasgow Institute, the Royal Scottish Society of Painters in Watercolours, The Royal Scottish Academy and The Paisley Art Institute. He has works in various private collections throughout the U.K. and abroad.
In November 2004 he was elected to membership of the RSW (Royal Society of Painters in Watercolours).
In 2006 he was elected President of the Glasgow Art Club, and served in this position until February 2009, probably at one of the most challenging times for the club since it was founded in 1867. He is now a Trustee of the Glasgow Art Club Property Company and chairs the committee dealing with the Charles Rennie McIntosh frieze to the Gallery in the Art Club.
In 2014 in recognition as one of Scotland's most successful sculptors, The Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland awarded him an Honorary Fellowship (Hon FRIAS) for his contribution to art in the public realm.
He is invited to exhibit regularly at various galleries throughout the UK and his work is held in many private and public collections throughout the UK and abroad.