" my work and the process is a reflection of our becoming"
Simon Bacon lives and works in Wivenhoe, Essex and he graduated with an MA in Sculptural Practice from Colchester School of Art in 2013. His work is influenced by over twenty years in practice as an Osteopath and four years postgraduate research in transpersonal psychology, all of which supports his expression of existential themes through the human form. His figurative work and process is shaped by a deep interest in the philosophy of mind, consciousness and existentialism, exploring concepts of individual existence, nothingness, angst, freedom and choice.
Simon asks us to explore our relationship to the world and the coming to terms of our conscious awareness of it through our own acts, rather than preconceived ideas. His work is an expression and enquiry of process and references " our becoming" and the ontic possibility of becoming as ours. For Simon it is important that each piece is unique, as our own process of becoming is unique. The element of chance at certain points in the process is embraced as a vital facet of the work, as evident, for example, in the flashing becoming an expressive part of the finished work.
The surfaces and forms of the sculptures which in some cases appears fragile, eroded and fragmented represent our existence and the angst and fear that is the characteristic of existence itself, and they reference the fragile boundary between our inner and outer worlds; our imagined reality and reality itself.
The sculptures undergo a number of stages from initial, often unmediated, modelling in clay to pieces that are ultimately cast in Bronze. Representational work is gradually deconstructed, fragmented and altered through process and making until the finished pieces become unique transformed figurative forms. With a background in meditation and mindfulness based practice the work is created in what Simon recognises as an altered state of consciousness. The narrative of making is also embodied providing honesty and integrity to the sculptures and referencing both the underlying structure of the human form and the development of the psyche.
For him existence includes more that is currently existing.
• Selected Exhibitions :
• Annual Open Exhibition- Sentinel Gallery, Wivenhoe
• Spring Exhibition- Thompson's Gallery Aldeburgh
• Christmas Exhibition Thompson's Gallery, Aldeburgh
• A year in Review- Lacey Contemporary Gallery,
• London AAF Battersea,London
• Autumn Exhibition Thompson's Gallery, Aldeburgh
• Open Studios- Sculpt Gallery Summer Exhibition- Sculpt Gallery.
• Sentinel Gallery, Wivenhoe.
• ' The Art of Casting'. Simon Bacon; Naomi Blake FRBS; Maurice Blik PPRBS. Sculpt Gallery
• Firstsite Collectors' group Award
• Bacon Fenn & Moran : A Dedication to Form- Lacy Contemporary Gallery, London
• Affordable Art Fair, Battersea, London
• 'Shaping The Future' An exhibition showcasing sculpture by three talented emerging Essex artists: Simon Bacon and Lucy Lutyens. Sculpt Gallery
• Colchester and Tendering Open Studios.
• S.A.S Brushstroke Art Exhibition. St Peter's Church, Sudbury.
• Art and Living in association with Bang and Olufsen Colchester Art in Mind.
• The Brick Lane Gallery, London Colchester and Tendring Open Studios.
• Masters at the Minories – Graduation Show Solo Show- Hay Gallery Colchester School of Art.
• 1969: Born Colchester
• 1978: Colchester High School for Boys
• 1986-88: Colchester Royal Grammar School
• 1988-92: British College of Osteopathic Medicine
• 2007-11: MSc Transpersonal Psychology and Consciousness Studies, University of Northampton
• 2011 Best Student Commendation Award Transpersonal Psychology and Consciousness Studies- University of Northampton
• 2011-2013: Easter and Summer Schools London Atelier of Representational Art (Tutor Valentina Zlatarova)
• 2011: Portrait Sculpture LARA (Tutor: Valentina Zlatarova)
• 2011-2013: MA Sculptural Practice, Colchester School of Art
• 2011- 2013: Introduced to Laurence Edwards and makes regular visits to Butley Studios to learn about bronze casting. Uses the foundry for all casting to date.
• 2015- Formally appointed as understudy for a significant Maurice Blik commission